2nd coat of the year.

I just finished a new parka. It’s not lined so I intend to pack it with me when I travel and then I can layer warm clothes underneath. It is a Calvin Klien fabric, nylon, navy with a goldenrod grid,  from Fabricmart. I think I bought the fabric before I saw the pattern in the Burda magazine 04/2011, #137. There was a tremendous amount of ease, so I cut a smaller size than normal.

It was a real chore to find all the bits and notions. Navy stoppers for the cord, took 3 stores, the grommets  and snaps didn’t match but I figured that I had spent enough time looking and after all that the snaps were hidden inside the flap over the zipper.

It has been a long time since I have attempted anything this difficult, lots of pieces and construction order was different as well, ie the zipper was attached to the facing first and then the facing and interior hood was joined to the coat. The snaps went inside the flap, etc. The welt pockets and the other pockets with flaps were nearly the end of me. I was continually going back to the pattern instructions, which I had enlarged to see it better. I also went back and forth to the tracing sheet, to see what I had missed,  which was quite a bit.  I even did a muslin for general size and fit.

Is it perfect-no. Do I love it–YES.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

BWOF 2 garments

I finally have sewn a couple of new things from Burda World of Fashion.
One pattern I had used before, and I made the sleeves longer and also attempted to lengthen the bodice. The fabric just didn’t behave, slippery and curled up and then shed little bits everywhere. By the time, I had discovered that the only way that I could tame the lower edge into the band, it was a little shorter than planned. I finally managed to sew the band on the garment after fusing the deges of the band together and then hand basted the band to the bodice. I do like the drape of the neckline. I used #123 from 2/2008.IMG_0141
I made the front a size larger than the back but kept the shoulders and neckline as the smaller size.
Next up was a linen dress, As soon as I saw the pattern in in 2/2009, I thought that it would be perfect for the linen I had bought in Spain. #124A showed the dress in a linen print and the linen print I had was a pretty big print. I did make a muslin first and I did need to make it larger through the middle section. I used one size smaller for the neck and shoulders again. The dress is lined with bemberg lining, has an invisible zip. IMG_0161
IMG_0162
I loved the v neck in the back, it was comfortable to wear, didn’t show creases and I wore a coral necklace, I had made.