I just finished a new parka. It’s not lined so I intend to pack it with me when I travel and then I can layer warm clothes underneath. It is a Calvin Klien fabric, nylon, navy with a goldenrod grid, from Fabricmart. I think I bought the fabric before I saw the pattern in the Burda magazine 04/2011, #137. There was a tremendous amount of ease, so I cut a smaller size than normal.
It was a real chore to find all the bits and notions. Navy stoppers for the cord, took 3 stores, the grommets and snaps didn’t match but I figured that I had spent enough time looking and after all that the snaps were hidden inside the flap over the zipper.
It has been a long time since I have attempted anything this difficult, lots of pieces and construction order was different as well, ie the zipper was attached to the facing first and then the facing and interior hood was joined to the coat. The snaps went inside the flap, etc. The welt pockets and the other pockets with flaps were nearly the end of me. I was continually going back to the pattern instructions, which I had enlarged to see it better. I also went back and forth to the tracing sheet, to see what I had missed, which was quite a bit. I even did a muslin for general size and fit.
Is it perfect-no. Do I love it–YES.